Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Luke 21: 19: By standing firm, you will win your souls.
Looking back at life thus far, I didn’t achieve the perfect fantasy I held as nonbeliever. I figured I’d be working at Bolthouse Productions, engaged to a wealthy stud, and living in a Santa Monica ocean-front. I’d belong to Equinox gym and have a tab at SoulCycle and order carry-out Nobu sushi every weeknight. I’d have VIP access at the Roosevelt rooftop parties and start my morning’s rollerblading the boardwalk with a cute puppy and win my age-division in the LA Marathon and be thin as a rail with hair down to my back-end. My life would be effortless and wonderful.
I planned various dreams and aspirations to achieve, setting high worldly standards without a thought of the Lord. But, once I came to Christ, my view of God changed. God is not a harsh, judging criticizer; Instead, He’s a loving Father and Friend. Seeing His love and mercy, I handed Him the reigns of my life, trusting He knew better than I where I belonged. I shook away lofty goals and trusted His caring provision, knowing I could trust the creator of the universe.
I handed Him my life on a silver platter, allowing Him to have His way with me, finding this to be the most life-changing decision I could ever make. The Lord has a bit of a sense of humor, choosing me of all people to be a missionary. If someone was to tell my twenty-year old non-Christian self where I’d be in two years, I would’ve laughed in their face. “Me? Go to Guatemala? With no Starbucks or internet? Not in a million years!” But, after accepting His love and trusting His guidance, He’s changed my desires and led me down roads I never thought possible.
Instead of living as a business-woman after graduation, I packed up my bags, kissed family and friends goodbye, and set off for a year-long missions school in Antigua, Guatemala to eat, sleep, and live life with forty likeminded people. I traded fleshly desires of success in replacement for a servant lifestyle, meanwhile taking a dating hiatus in faith the Lord will lead me to the right match.
Although its only been three weeks, God has shattered my perception of reality in replacement for authentic wisdom. He’s given me insight on what life is truly about, gently taking my quivering hand and laying me in His lush, green pastures.
Reading the Word, I often wondered why God says He’s our shepherd and we’re His sheep. Why wouldn’t He say we’re baby dolphins swimming after a whale? Or dogs looking to an owner? The reason is simple: sheep are not smart animals, known for aimlessly following each other and getting into trouble. Sheep have no means of defense against wolves and lions, making them helpless and constantly fearful.
Two years ago, I was a fearful sheep. I thought I knew what was best for me; I thought I knew exactly what I needed in life. Finding Christ,I saw how much of a scam my dreams really were. Even if I had achieved all those goals, I’m positive I still would’ve felt discontent and restless. I’d be constantly worrying; whether it be that my fiance would leave me or boss would fire me. With Christ as my shepherd, I have nothing to fear, knowing He’ll place me exactly where I belong. He tells me to cast my burdens on His shoulders and be anxious for nothing, but in everything pray and trust His Word.
I may not live the high-life I once dreamt, but I know this much: I’ve never felt as much peace as I do right now, laying in a bunk bed in Central America. Through His guidance, I know there’s nowhere else I should be.
Wednesday, August 6, 2014
Colossians 1: 11
We pray you’ll be strengthened with all His glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy.
Being a chocolate fan, it’s hard for me to find a piece that doesn’t satisfy my sweet tooth. I love dark chocolate, white chocolate, and milk chocolate. I love chocolate made with marshmallows, chocolate made with almonds, and chocolate made with graham crackers. Admittedly, I’m a self-proclaimed chocoholic.
Recently, I stepped into a chocolate shop with high hopes. The smell of the warm, freshly poured chocolate from the women behind the counter was enough to lure anyone within a mile of the store. They had free samples for each of their chocolates, and I helped myself to a few of the delights. The honey drizzled milk chocolate was fantastic, the dark macademia nut was incredible, and the white chocolate almond butter cup was out of this world.
At this point, I was on a roll. I couldn’t wait to try their two signature items, the milk chocolate orange zest roll and the dark chili chocolate. I had never tried chocolate with dried orange or chocolate with spice, and my mouth was watering. I knew I would absolutely love them both. I had to, since I had yet to find a chocolate I didn’t love. Every new piece I try becomes my new favorite!
Picking up the orange zest sample, I slowly bit into the fresh-baked slice. Smiling as I chewed, my face slowly formed a frown. What was happening? Why wasn’t I enjoying this little treasure in my hand? Where was that euphoric feeling I usually get? Why didn’t I gleefully pop the rest into my mouth?
I was in shock. Never having tasted chocolate I didn’t like, I finally met my match. Reaching for the spicy chocolate, I figured their other signature item could redeem thee odd mishap. Similarly, I ate half and politely set the rest in a napkin, commenting I liked it but was no longer hungry. Confused, I paid for a box of dark chocolate truffles and left the store.
What was wrong with me? Didn’t chocolate make everything taste good? Heck, I’d even liked chocolate bacon! I learned to accept how all chocolate is not made equally, some are scrumptious and some are not.
From the day we’re born, we’re basically handed a box of assorted Godiva’s. Each day brings a different flavor, and we’re never certain which type of chocolate new days bring. Upon waking, we wonder, will today be sunny or gloomy? Will people treat me well? Will my hair cooperate? Will I feel cherished, loved and adored, or ignored, lonely, and stepped on?
Becoming a Christian doesn’t lead to a life of constant rainbows and butterflies. We’re still human and will struggle. Waking this morning, my nose was runny, my stomach was upset, and the shower was cold. Feeling down, I went into devotional time with a bad attitude but was soon at peace. But, after reading bout the crucifixion, I had a completely different attitude. If Jesus could give up everything for me, I could deal with my minor ills.
I realized joy is a choice. Through all my hurts, I can keep a smile on my face because I have something eternal to hope for: a awaiting room in Heaven. It doesn’t matter what my day brings; I have enough reason to smile as anybody! Jesus is my Savior and loves me regardless of how my stomach may feel. Through Christ, we no longer need to base emotions off our circumstances. With that to rejoice for, bring on the chocolate!
Thursday, Aug 6, 2014
Rev 1:9:
I, John, am your brother and your partner in suffering and in God’s Kingdom and in the patient endurance to which Jesus calls us. I was exiled to the island of Patmos for preaching the Word of God and for my testimony about Jesus.
Strawberry daiquiri in a coconut; smooth, white sand; tall, overhanging palm tree’s; a bright blue ocean... island life is a breeze. Through childhood, my family and I packed up, left the States, and jetted off on a Caribbean getaways annually. We’d leave our worries behind, packing magazines, earphones, and bathing suits, excited about a week of being seriously unserious.
What if you were to spend time on an island? Pretty gnarly, right? After all, we could all use a week of pampering! Maybe you’d splurge on a hot stone massage at a spa, hit local boutiques for trendy bikini’s, or grab some mango sorbet at a cute parlor. Maybe you’d rent a jet ski, parasail over the water, or take a surf lesson. There’s hardly a shortage of activities on the islands. With luxurious resorts offering endless amenities and restaurants to satisfy every palette, it’s hard not to have a good time.
In Revelation 1:9, John explains he was banished to the island of Patmos for his faith in Jesus. Not bad, right? A time of recharging, laying in a hammock, and a drink in hand sounds pretty nice, eh? Hardly. Our idea of island time is relaxing and beautiful, but 2,000 yeas ago, things were different. John was cold, alone, and ultimately executed on the island in a horrific way, yet there’s no doubt he held faith while enduring all hardships. He gladly went to the miserable island, knowing soon he’d be somewhere far greater: the island of Heaven.
Revelation promises streets made of pure gold, as well as a shiny, clear sea sparkling like crystal. There’ll be jasper and carnelian gemstones and pearls and jewels galore. John couldn’t fathom the luxuries and splendor awaiting him, knowing nothing anyone said or did would change his ultimate, eternal inheritance.
Having lived in Malibu the last three years, I knew I was living in one of the most beautiful locations in the world. I had to pinch myself every day knowing how blessed I was, living in such a gorgeous place. Yet, many of the rich and famous I bumped shoulders with seemed constantly down and miserable. Although they had everything, they felt they had nothing. They spend upwards of $20,000 a night on retreats like Necker Island or St. Bart’s, yet they leave feeling just as empty as before. Their hope is in this world, not in the next. They don’t understand the glories awaiting those who believe in Jesus and don’t see how Heaven’s paradise puts Earth to shame. I have yet to find an island bug free with constant sunshine and golden roads and a crystal sea, but I know I’ll see one the second I hit Heaven.
John was exiled to Patmos because he refused to stop preaching the Good News. Many Americans don’t face persecution to this extent, yet sometimes it’s still easy to share God’s Word with others. America has a “don’t ask, don’t tell” mindset with religion, and many lack the courage to boldly step out with confidence. Feeling personally convicted, I have to ask myself: if I hesitate to share God’s Word during easy times, how will I do during times of persecution?
No comments:
Post a Comment